Applicant Eligibility Requirements:
• The applicant must be a U.S. citizen.
• Personal/family involvement in support of DSSGC activities and/or programs.
• Scholarship awards are awarded one time only and the scholarship award is not renewable.
• Past scholarship award winners may not re-apply. Past applicants who did not receive a scholarship
award are encouraged to re-apply.
• Applications must be post marked by August 20, 2016.
Award Selection and Award Evaluation Criterion:
• Applicant essay or personal statement.
• Involvement with DSSGC and the disability community
• Letters of Recommendation.
• Academic Achievement/Independent Living Skills/Employment.
• In addition to meeting the basic eligibility qualifications, applicants will be judged on their demonstrated accomplishments, obstacles overcome, leadership, community involvement, and how your experiences with the disability community reflect the mission of DSSGC.
• The scholarship funds awarded are to be used solely to pay for junior college, job training, camps, therapies, and other areas of which financial assistance is needed.
• All scholarship awards will be paid directly to the institution or service provider by DSSGC.
• All scholarship funds must be used within a 3 year period.
Essay or Personal Statement
• The Applicants submission must include an essay or personal statement.
• An essay or personal statement not to exceed one page in length should be submitted with your
• The essay should include the applicant’s relationship with DSSGC and disability community
and future career plans.
• Applicants may elect to supplement the essay or personal statement with a photo essay up to two pages
• Give an example of how the inclusion of individuals with disabilities in the community has affected you
and how it might affect you in the future.
Letters of Recommendation
• The Applicants submission must include two letters of recommendation.
• The letters must come from individuals who know the applicant well (i.e. teacher, educational assistant, principal, counselor, consultant, social worker, employer, job coach, clergy member, coach, or
Service Activity Sheet
• The Applicant’s submission should include the Service Activity Sheet (see form provided), if applicable.
Information related to: name or type of activity, estimated annual activity hours and name(s) of
organization(s) involved should be included.
Additional Supporting Documentation
The following are provided as examples of the types of supporting documentation which may help the
scholarship committee in their deliberations. They are not required for the scholarship application to be
given full consideration. Please provide any supporting documents which you believe to be relevant.
Additional supporting documentation may include:
• Academics – school transcripts, report cards, academic awards
• Record of Activities – type of activity, years and estimated hours of service and organization name.
• Honors and Awards – certificates and awards.
• Extracurricular activities – records of activities, statements from activity leaders, certificates and awards. • Employment – employment history, employment training, performance reviews, certificates and awards
• Independent Living Skills – record of progress made in acquiring skills, statement of achievement from
• Advocacy – statement of how the applicant educates others on the needs of those with disabilities
(teachers, peers, or the community).
• Assistive Technology – record of technology used, how it has impacted the applicant or others
Application Packet Submission
Please note: All materials submitted become the property of DSSGC and will not be returned All applications must be submitted in hard copy.
• All application materials (including supporting documentation) must be submitted and mailed in the
• Submit two copies of all application materials with the candidate’s name on the cover of each.
• Each Application Packet should be organized as follows:
Application Form (click here to download)
• Essay/Personal Statement
• Letters of Recommendation
• Service Activity Sheet (optional)
• Additional Supporting Documentation (optional)